Full Time Candidate
I’m a retired Air Force officer and pilot. I spent the first part of my air force career flying trainer airplanes teaching young men and women how to fly. Later, I was reassigned to fly heavy cargo airplanes where I flew missions in both peacetime
There are many things that distinguish me from others in this race, but I’ll focus on three:
First, I am a political outsider – like most of your readers – and as such, I will NOT pander to special interests in Hawaii. These special interests close off competition and as a result, drive up the cost-of-living for most Hawaiian families.
Second, I have a lifetime of diverse, real-world decision making, leadership and management experience –as a military officer and pilot, as a teacher, Boy Scout leader (founding Troop 777 at Central Union Church), and as a representative of two Fortune 500 companies (Dell and Microsoft) in the Pacific region.
Third, I have a broad set of life experiences. I’ve posted details of this on ReviveHawaiiNow.com under the “Meet Steve” tab, but to summarize my older brother, sister and I were raised by my mother after her divorce. I’ve lived all around the country and also in Germany. I’ve traveled all over the world, primarily with the Air Force, which allowed me to work with and interact with people of all backgrounds and cultures – as I would in office. I’ve also had two ground deployments that involved operating in combat zones, and during one of those I was awarded the Bronze Star. I’ve been married for 29 years and have two sons.
As Lieutenant Governor I will make it my duty to focus on my “Three Es” – Economy, Education and Environment. (please see below for details)
Legislation to diminish Hawai'i's exploding homelessness issue.
To improve the economy and make Hawaii more affordable, I will:
1) Advocate the removal of shipping restrictions that make goods sent to Hawaii so expensive
2) Champion transparency audits on major government spending;
3) Strive to modernize government agencies by introducing proven business strategies;
4) Back legislation that creates a more business-friendly environment;
5) Develop strategies to increase our agriculture businesses to increase our food security. and
6) Streamline licensing and permit processes
To improve the education system, I will:
1) Support an audit of the Department of Education to eliminate waste
2) Advocate for the introduction of business best practices into DOE;
3) Strategize to retain teachers and fill the 1600 vacancies in the system.
And lastly, to preserve the environment, I will:
1) Work endlessly to better manage the homeless issue through a multi-path approach including ending the Hawaiian Homelands backlog and increasing affordable housing;
2) Coordinate with the Department of Health and environmental groups to target the worst contaminators of our beaches and waterways; and
3) Devise strategies for the State to incentivize cleanup activities
I will work tirelessly to improve the lives of all citizens of Hawai'i!!